Norm's Auto Repair is rich with history and a part of Springfield's heritage...
- 1921: O.C. Thurman bought the feed stable from Barnes.
- 1928 or 1929: The State of Oregon
condemned the land to build the Main Street bridge across the Willamette
River. Thurman built the gas station with an outside lube pit at the west
end of the office.
- In the late 30’s or early 40’s he sold to John McGinty and he hired C.B. “Punk” Dunnington to run it and later sold
the station to C.B. He first added two bays and enclosed one pump island for
an office and parts room. C.B. closed the station for one year when the
government issued ration stamps.
- 1945: When C.B. was discharged from the
service he reopened the station. In 1945 he added the third bay and
machine shop area.
1946: When Carl “Bud” Dahlquist (Norm's
dad) was discharged from the Air Force he stopped by to see Punk and
was asked to fill in for a week while one of his mechanics went to
- 1948: Harley, (Bud’s brother) was
- 1959: Bud quit, went to work for
Ralph Keeney at his shop up the Mohawk.
- 1960: Bud & Bob Wilcox open Mohawk
Texaco and hired Jim Smith.
- January 1, 1961: Bud ended
partnership with Bob and bought the business from Punk, brought Jim with
him to Mill & Main. Bud bought the property a couple of years later
when Punk died.
- 1971: The building was remodeled
again to connect the office to the shop, moved the front wall of the
first two bays out two feet, raised the ceiling in the first two
bays, added roll up doors, added new front on office, new restrooms,
changed from metal walls to block walls on storage room and changed
roof line on the office and canopy.
- 1972: Norm Dahlquist started
working here after graduating from high school. Norm’s brother Wayne
was also working here at that time. After a couple of years, Bud
started taking more time off thus shifting more responsibilities and
duties to Norm and Wayne and in 1975 Wayne quit.
- 1980: Upgrades were done to
electric service, new furnace was added (had oil furnace), added
benches and bookshelves, sheet rocked and insolated ceiling of third
bay and machine shop area.
- January 1st, 1981: Norm purchased
business from Bud, and since then here are some changes that have
1983: Converted one restroom into
a office, purchased first computer for business management,
repainted exterior (gray, red & black).
- Dec. 31, 1986: Jim Smith retired.
1988: Installed shop exhaust fan
system, removed gas pumps and tanks , changed name to Norm’s Auto
1989: Harley retired and building
was repainted gray, blue and blue.
- 1992: Concrete floor was replaced
and shop was rearranged to improve efficiency and make it possible
to get another vehicle in the shop.